The Canadian Theological Society invites expressions of interest from members willing to serve on the CTS Executive. CTS is an entirely volunteer-run organization. These are opportunities to serve fellow members primarily through the planning and hosting of the annual meetings at Congress, to implement new initiatives, and to advance the study of theology in Canada. The following positions will be vacant.
1. Vice-President/President-Elect – The Vice-President coordinates the Student Networking Lunch and/or Student Essay Contest. After a one-year term, the Vice-President becomes President. The President convenes and presides at Executive meetings, presides at the annual general meeting, delivers a Presidential Address as part of the annual meeting program, and receives and replies as necessary to correspondence from the Canadian Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences (CFHSS), the Canadian Corporation for Studies in Religion (CCSR), and other organizations. Collaborating with the Program Chair, the President prepares the annual Call for Papers. After a one-year term, the President becomes Past-President. The Past-President serves as chair of the Nominating Committee. The Vice-President, President, and Past-President often serve as voting representatives of CTS to CCSR and CFHSS. The total commitment to the Executive is for three years.
2. Treasurer – The Treasurer maintains all financial records for the society, executes all financial transactions (e.g., pays expenses and receives and deposits income from various sources), makes regular financial reports to the Executive and prepares and presents annual budgets and financial reports to the Annual General Meeting. The Treasurer serves a three-year term, which is renewable.
3. Secretary – The Secretary records and distributes the minutes of meetings of the Executive and the annual general meeting, receives membership forms and payments, deposits membership payments into the society’s bank account, and receives and replies to membership correspondence. With the assistance of the Communications Officer, the Secretary also maintains the online membership database hosted on the website for the private use of the Executive. The Secretary serves a three-year term, which is renewable.
4. Program Chair – The Program Chair works with the other members of the Executive to plan the program for the CTS annual meeting. Specifically, the Program Chair drafts the Call for Papers, receives all proposals, coordinates the vetting process, prepares the schedule for the annual meeting program, works with the Local Arrangements Coordinator about rooms and other program logistics, submits information to Congress organizers about CTS needs. The Program Chair serves a three-year term, which is renewable.
- Send a message to Jeremy Bergen, CTS Past President and Chair of Nominating Committee. You may indicate your own interest, or suggest that another member should be considered for a particular role. Deadline: April 3, 2018.
- The Nominating Committee will assemble a slate with one nominee per position for presentation at the CTS AGM at Congress, May 27-29, in Regina.
- Further nominations may be received from the floor at the AGM.