This is second of my occasional communication with members and affiliates of the Canadian Theological Society.
1. You will have already received an email message with this year’s CTS Call for Proposals. It has also been posted online. The deadline is January 29, 2017. Please distribute this widely to those who may have interest and encourage those who have not engaged with CTS before to become involved. You will note that there is a change from previous years in the pattern of CTS meetings at Congress. Meetings will begin on Sunday afternoon, May 28, and end Tuesday evening, May 30.
2. At our 2016 AGM, the membership approved the establishment of an ad hoc Equity Committee in order to address the issue of persons and groups that are underrepresented in CTS and the theology in Canada more generally. The committee itself will refine its mandate and terms of reference in consultation with the CTS Executive. Jane Barter, who is also CTS Program Chair, has agreed to serve as the Chair of the Equity Committee. Nominations, including self-nominations, to serve on this committee are welcome. Please contact Jane at: email@example.com
3. Some regional meetings of the AAR will be held this year in Canada
- The Pacific Northwest Region, which includes BC, Alberta, and Yukon, will be in Calgary, May 7-10, 2017
- The Eastern International Religion, which includes Ontario and Quebec, will be in Waterloo, April 28-29, 2017
The full list of regional meetings, along with CFPs, are here.
4. The Engaged Scholar Journal is looking for additional material for an upcoming Special Issue on Faith and Engagement. The deadline has been extended to October 15. More information is available here.
5. A graduate student conference on the theme “Religion, Ideology, and Violence,” will be held at Concordia University, Montreal, January 19, 2017. Call for Papers deadline is October 14.
I expect to send out a message like this one every 6 to 8 weeks or so. Let me know if you have an announcement of broad interest to CTS members.
President, Canadian Theological Society